Your wedding is one of the most memorable days of your life. But with all the buzz surrounding the big day, sometimes the little things (like your lingerie) get pushed to the side. However, lingerie is an extremely important part of the bridal ensemble. After all, without the proper underpinnings, you simply can’t look your best. Before I give my lingerie recommendations for the bride, let’s go over a few shopping tips:
1. Bridal lingerie should be comfortable, sexy, and functional. After all, you’ll be on your feet and in front of cameras all day long.
2. Bridal lingerie doesn’t have to be boring. Lacy, pretty, and feminine is the name of the game.
3. Bridal lingerie need not be white. Ivory, cream, rose, champagne, peach, and even eau di nil (i.e. robin’s egg blue) are all acceptable colors.
So, with that in mind, let’s get started! Here are 10 of my fave picks for the blushing bride:
1) Bustier: The perfect piece for wearing under strapless, form-fitting dresses, a bustier (also known as a basque) both lifts your bust and nips your waist. I’m in love with this Kiss Me Deadly “Beth” basque. Not only does the front zip make dressing easier, the gorgeous lace overlay means you’ll feel beautiful wearing it. The Beth basque is available for purchase beginning in July.
2) Strapless bra: If a bustier feels like a bit much, why not opt for a strapless bra? The Gossard “Ooh La La” range features Parisian style lace overlay, and even has a coordinating panty and garter belt. Best of all, it’s a set you’ll be proud to unveil come your wedding night. The entire set is available from Figleaves.com, with individual pieces starting at $20.
3) Shaping Slip: We’ve come a long way since the restrictive girdles of yesteryear. Today, Body Wrap’s Sheer Iridesscent Control Slip combines the best of shapewear with the best of lingerie to give you a garment that’s cool, sexy, and comfortable. It also won’t break the bank. You can purchase this slip for $78 from Bare Necessities.
4) Panties: There is no worse sensation than ill-fitting underwear, and you won’t have the time constantly adjust your knickers on your wedding day. That’s why I recommend going with a brand famous for comfort—Hanky Panky. Whether you’re a thong girl, a brief girl, or a boyshort girl, rest assured that they have something for you. Hanky Panky panties starts at $18/pair.
5) Seamless: For when you absolutely, positively must look like you’re wearing nothing underneath at all, seamless lingerie is the way to go. And no one combines sexy and seamless the way Made by Niki does. The high waist thong and bandeau bra from their Slinkies collection gives a smooth line under the clingiest material, and the sweat-wicking, anti-bacterial fabric makes it perfect for summer weddings. Individual pieces start at $55.
6) Stockings: Though tights are more popular than ever, there’s still something very seductive about stockings. Not only are they one of the oldest items of lingerie (people have been wearing them since the 15th century), they also tend to be much cooler than either tights or pantyhose for a warm summer wedding. I recommend these sheer stockings from Figleaves. As an added bonus, they’re only $10!
7) Pantyhose: If stockings aren’t really your thing, you might want to take a look at hosiery’s latest trend…embellished tights. Hand-embroidered by Liya Amar of La Lilouche Lingerie, these limited edition tights feature a beautiful lace and pearl applique. They’re almost like jewelry for your legs! La Lilouche’s bridal tights start at $52.
8) Garter: The garter toss is a classic wedding day tradition, but many brides choose to wear two garters…one to throw and one to keep for themselves. If you’re looking for a garter to match this truly special occasion, think of commissioning a piece from Florrie Mitton garters. Handmade in England, these garters are utterly luxurious, completely original, and absolutely perfect for the wedding day. Florrie Mitton’s garters start at $55.
9) Robe: You’ll need something to wear while getting your hair and makeup done, so why not opt for a luxurious silk robe? Not only is your wedding day worth a little indulgence, silk robes never go out of style and this is a piece you can wear again and again. Mary Green’s silk kimono (available from HerRoom for $108) is my top pick for a robe worthy of any bride.
10) Chemise: We’ll round things out with a selection for the wedding night. Though you could dedicate an entire list solely to lingerie for the honeymoon, we’ll focus on just one piece…this blush and cream silk chemise from Brulee lingerie. Soft, pretty, feminine and oh-so-comfortable, this is the perfect lingerie for finishing the most important day in your life. The Brulee “Vamp” chemise is sold at Faire Frou Frou for $170.
Treacle is the founder of The Lingerie Addict, a blog all about the most important part of a woman’s wardrobe…her lingerie! Since it’s humble beginnings in 2008, The Lingerie Addict has grown to become one of the world’s most popular lingerie blogs and a resource for women everywhere who want honest advice about their lingerie.